Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Chilean Heritage?



It was a busy day here in Chile. It started with a lovely breakfast, and on the way to this lovely breakfast, I saw a sign with my Mom's maiden name on it. Apparently "cruce" means crossing in Spanish. So, this sign was letting us know this was a pedestrian crossing. There is also a native drink called Pisco here in Chile, and a company that produced Pisco is called Tres Cruces. So, I would be interested to know if the name comes from Spanish meaning a "crossing" or "crossroads."

After breakfast we hopped on the metro and went shopping in Los Dominicos for souvenirs (see the picture that looks like a church). I didn't come away with much, but enjoyed seeing all the local artisans ripping tourists off with overpriced goods. Following the shopping experience, a few of us moved over to the BellaVista neighborhood with the intention of climbing El Cerro de San Cristobol (I thought I climbed it the other day - instead, we made it up El Cerro de Santa Lucia, a much less daunting task). After my HUGE, late lunch of soup, an empanada, and dessert, climbing the hill seemed like an even more impossible task. So, after climbing about 1/3 of the hill, which was full of screaming children and a zoo, two of us turned around to head back to the hotel.

Dinner tonight was at a delicious steakhouse called The Happening. Although things are always challenging with a group of 19 people, the food was so delicious. I had one of the best ribeyes I've ever put in my mouth! So pretty much today consisted of eating and walking, two of my favorite things besides sleeping. Tomorrow we visit Evercrisp (Frito Lay) and a vineyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment