Monday, July 18, 2011

Louisiana Gumbo in Chile

I've never had real Louisiana gumbo in the US, but got two helpings of it tonight in Chile! One of our students is a gumbo guru, and with some other kind helpers pitching in throughout the day, a gumbo feast was prepared for the group. It must have been good since we went through two stock pots of it (the equivalent of 14 pounds of chicken, 4 pounds of rice, and 6 loaves of french bread)!

The first item on our agenda this morning was the AmCham (American Chamber of Commerce) branch here in Santiago. Sam the economist gave us a really informative presentation about the Chilean economy and patiently answered our questions on a wide range of topics. Interestingly enough, I bet like me, you were unaware that blueberries and cranberries are up-and-coming fruit crops here in Chile (and, the same word is used to say both blueberry and cranberry). Now you have an interesting fact to share at parties, so people will think you're really savvy about South American fruit crops. You can thank me later when people compliment you about you being such a worldy, interesting person.

After a delicious lunch of turkey and ricotta crepes at the Melba Cafe (owned by a Kiwi), some of us made a trip to the local supermarket. I'm always amazed by the candy aisle at foreign grocery stores (ok, any grocery store). I managed to find some goodies to bring back home, including the Chilean version of Kit Kats (aka In Kats here in Chile).

After the grocery store adventure, there was lots of delicious gumbo and good times had by all. With a full stomach, I bid you buenos noches! Tune in tomorrow for my thoughts on Chile's version of lemon blueberry pancakes, the local artisan market, and a Chilean fine steakhouse dining experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment