Sunday, July 24, 2011

San Telmo y Cemeterio Recoleta





This morning we got to sleep in a bit, which was great since we've kept pretty busy here in Buenos Aires. We headed over to the San Telmo street fair. I saw all kinds of interesting wares (and street performoers dressed as invisible men and statues), but the only thing I bought there was a mate tea cup for our "around the world" collection. We found some delicious lunch at Don Ernesto's. I gave the Milanesa Don Ernesto a try, which was a breaded veal. It was yummy, but way more than I could have ever eaten in one sitting. As soon as we wrapped up lunch, we took taxis over to La Recoleta Cemetery, which is pretty surprising in terms of how beautiful all the structures are. I saw Evita's burial spot, which compared to the other graves was fairly plain and unassuming. La Recoleta is literally one of those things you just have to see to appreciate how beautiful it is!

Outside the cemetery, there was another street fair with all sorts of handicrafts and souvenirs. I was able to pick up a few things there for gifts. However, the highlight of going through the market was getting to talk with the vendors in Spanish. This trip has definitely increased my interest in learning Spanish. It's become a pretty high priority on my "want to do" list and hopefully I have convinced my better half to learn along with me. I can already see an improvement in my vocab. Now if I could only remember all those conjugations! Tonight we have a dinner reservation at a great steakhouse. I'll post photos and updates about the experience probably sometime tomorrow. Tomorrow morning we are making a visit to the Rural Society and an agricultural fair. That should make for some interesting comparisons!

No comments:

Post a Comment