Sunday, July 17, 2011

It Snowed in Chile




Well, although it's hard to imagine snow on the earth when it's 110 degrees everyday in the shade in Texas, I was in the mountains today and there was an abundance of snow. In fact, I rode a horse both up and down a mountain. His name was Brucio, which means "Blondie." He and I were great friends going up the mountain, which was breathtaking...the scenery for me, breathtaking for Brucio in that he was hauling both his weight and mine up the mountain. He broke a serious sweat. We disagreed a bit on the way down when he decided that being close to the edge was a good idea because it was out of the mud and I decided that I didn't really care if Brucio got muddy, I was not comfortable so close to the edge. One of the instructors, who was very nice, complimented me on my riding skills (which are nonexistent), but then another one quickly brought me back down to earth by basically telling me to quit using the reins because the horse knew more about the trail than I did. So, all in all it worked fine and I made it back down without me or the horse having a nervous breakdown or heart attack.

After the horseback ride, we came back to the restaurant in the park and had a Chilean BBQ. It was an abundance of food...clearly, there must be a Charlie Cruce in that restaurant. It was both delicious and way more than even all of us could eat. There was also an abundance of great Chilean wine, and of course the workers were very kind and tolerant of our large group.

That was pretty much the day. We have a great group of people to travel with, and Chile is so far a GORGEOUS and most hospitable country, even if they do hate natural almonds. So, as you're sweating it out in the US, just know that I actually got cold today. It was fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment